The village of Homewood is hosting a meeting on July 10, 2017, for Metra, the Chicago area commuter rail service, to present detailed renovation plans for the Homewood Station on the Metra Electric Line.
The public is encouraged to attend the meeting where members of Metra’s design team will present preliminary plans and answer questions about the proposed renovations to the station. Homewood Station serves more than 1,200 Metra customers a day and is also a stop for several Amtrak trains.
The proposed station renovations include:
- reconstruction of the east and west entrances;
- installation of new stairs and ADA compliant ramps;
- new stairs leading to the Amtrak platform and reconstruction of the Amtrak platform and canopy;
- installation of water seepage barriers and a drainage system in the tunnel, new tunnel walls, ceiling and lighting; and
- reconfiguration of parking on the Park Avenue side of the station.
The improvements will take place when funding becomes available. Construction of the Amtrak portion of the station is scheduled to begin next year.
The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. in the board room at Homewood Village Hall, 2020 Chestnut Road.